Mr. Samson H Chowdhury
Mr. Samson H Chowdhury was born on 25 September, 1925. After completing education in India he returned to the then East Pakistan and settled at Ataikula village in Pabna district where his father was working as a Medical Officer in an outdoor dispensary. In 1952, he started a small pharmacy in Ataikula village which is about 160 km off capital Dhaka in the north-west part of Bangladesh. Mr. Samson H Chowdhury then ventured into a partnership pharmaceutical company with three of his friends in 1958. When asked why the name SQUARE was chosen he remembers - "We named it SQUARE because it was started by four friends and also because it signifies accuracy and perfection meaning quality" as they committed in manufacturing quality products. Now that small company of 1958 is a publicly listed diversified group of companies employing more than 28,000 people. The current yearly group turnover is 616 million USD.
SQUARE today is a name not only known in the Pharmaceutical world, it is today a synonym of quality- be it consumer product, toiletries, health products, textiles, agro vet products, information technology and few more. All these were possible due to his innovative ideas, tireless efforts, perseverance and dedication with self confidence which contributed to his successful achievements. Now the name " SQUARE " inspires trust. Under his dynamic leadership, SQUARE is set to continue its progress globally.
- President, Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI), Dhaka, in 1996 and 1997.
- Chairman, Micro Industries Development Assistance & Services (MIDAS).
- Member, Advisory Committee of the Bangladesh Association of Pharmaceutical Industries.
- Founder President, Bangladesh Association of Publicly Listed Companies.
- Member, Executive Committee of Bangladesh French Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Chairman, Transparency International, Bangladesh Chapter, 2004 - 2007.
- Vice-President: International Chamber of Commerce, Bangladesh
- Chairman: Central Depository Bangladesh Ltd.
- Life member: The Dhaka Club Limited, Dhaka
- Former Director: The Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FBCCI).
- Advisor & Former President: Bangladesh Aushad Shilpa Samity.
- President: Bangladesh Herbal Products Manufacturing Association.
- Chairman: Mutual Trust Bank Limited.
- Chairman & CEO: Sabazpur Tea Estate, Suzaul Madrasha Baralekha, Moulovibazar.
- "Business Executive of the Year" by American Chamber in Bangladesh in 1998.
- "Best Entrepreneur of the Country for the year 2000 – 2001" by the Daily Star and DHL Worldwide Express.
- "Special contribution in country's industrial and commercial sectors for the year 2003" by "Mercantile Bank Award 2003"
- For Uncompromising Business Ethics, Honesty & Transparency of the year 2005 by "Banker's Forum Award - 2005".
- Recipient of ICAB National Award "Best Published Accounts and Reports 2006 in the Manufacturing Sector".
- Recipient of NBR Award one of the Highest Tax-Payers in 2007-2008.
- Recognized by the National Board of Revenue (NBR) as one of the top ten tax payers of the country since 2005.
- Recipient of CIP (Industry) 2009-2010 status by the Government of The Peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
For more information visit : www.samsonchowdhury.com